Claxton and Sand Hutton are two small rural villages situated in the South West of the Ryedale District of North Yorkshire to the east of the A64 trunk road, 8 miles North East of York, about 4 miles from Stamford Bridge and 10 miles from Malton.
Map of the Area : Claxton & Sand Hutton, North Yorkshire
The villages lie within the Sand Hutton and Whitwell group of Parishes which also includes Flaxton, Gate Helmsley, Upper Helmsley, Bossall, Buttercrambe, Howsham, Harton, Whitwell on the Hill, Crambe, Foston, Barton le Willows and Thornton le Clay.
Ryedale District Council published a profile of the area in 2007 which can be seen HERE.
The villages are largely surrounded by farmland however the thriving market town of Malton, the large and well serviced village of Stamford Bridge and the historic City of York all lie within a few miles.
On a clear day the Yorkshire Wolds and the North Yorkshire Moors are visible from the high spots in the parish and the surrounding area has many beautiful trees, meadowlands and woodlands.
The two villages are similar in size separated by a stretch of unrestricted road. Somewhat more detached are residents of properties across the A64 (York to Scarborough) road around the previous site of Claxton Hall. Apart from Foxhill Park – a small campsite, nowadays there are no shops, pubs or other commercial services in either village although various products such as milk, newspapers and fish are sold and delivered direct to households. A number of small businesses operate from premises in the villages or surrounding farms. Stamford Bridge (around 4 miles away) supports a range of local shops and services. In season, residents can feast on such delights as asparagus, raspberries and strawberries all grown within walking distance of the village centres.
Most residents use their own transport but local buses serve the villages at peak times of the day and there is an excellent service on the A64 provided by the Coastliner, serving York and Leeds to the West and Malton and the Yorkshire Coast resorts to the East as well as buses to York and Bridlington from Stamford Bridge.
Local Attractions Include :
- The Historic City of York (Viking, Roman and Medieval)
- Castle Howard (Stately Home)
- Malton / Helmsley / Pickering- Market towns
- Eden Camp (WW2 Museum)
- Dalby Forest
- Yorkshire Lavender
- Sandburn Hall Golf Club / Tykes Restaurant
- Langdale Quest 4×4
- North Yorkshire Moors Steam Railway (Pickering)
- Balloon Tree / Farmers Cart (Farm Shops)
- The North Yorkshire Moors National Park
- Goathland – the Heartbeat Village
The photo below, taken in the early 1920′s shows Claxton Village Pond on the site of what is now the Village Green.
Sand Hutton is mentioned twice in the Domesday Book http://www.domesdaymap.co.uk/place/SE6958/sand-hutton/. Further Historic mention of the villages goes back to the 11th Century when “The Norman, William Malet, bought Sprot’s manor here (Sand Hutton) for 10 marks” and also gives a hint to the origins of the name Claxton “Ivo de Taillebois gave the manor to to St.Mary’s by 1176 but old John de Bulmer rented it from Leo de Claxton in 1349, leaving his widow Alice four houses and Lady Garth”.
Claxton gained a school in 1824, Wesleyan Chapel 1843, Primitive Chapel 1850 and Claxton Grange in 1851 which briefly became a private asylum for 26 people. However maps going back to the early 1600′s show Claxton as ‘Little Flaxton’.
In 2008 the Villages produced a comprehensive Parish Plan which can be downloaded here