November 21, 2017

Claxton & Sand Hutton Women’s Institute

On 21st November 1924 a meeting was held in Home Farm granary with a view to establishing a branch of the Women’s Institute.

Lady Esme Walker presided supported by Mrs Dalton Kirk, the organising secretary for Yorkshire, and Mrs Adams VCC who had been invited to explain the aims and objectives of the WI.

Regular monthly meetings were then held until January 1927 when  a decision amongst members was made to leave the WI to become a group known as Sand Hutton & Claxton District Women’s Club.  This was because there were so few local WI’s and the 50+ members felt they were missing out on the social gatherings and meetings that the women’s club could offer.

And so it continued until March 1946 when the committee put it to there members that they ought to re-join the WI.  Miss A Hamilton, Yorkshire president addressed the meeting , accompanied by representatives of other institutes who an insight into the benefits of becoming affiliated.  Voting took place and Claxton & Sand Hutton Women’s Institute was re-formed.

We meet 11 times a year and offer women a chance to learn new skills, travel and listen to speakers covering topics as diverse as:

  • bee keeping
  • collecting bookmarks
  • hiking in mainland China
  • Gilbert & Sullivan
  • Tai Chi

…..and much more.

Meetings are usually held at Sand Hutton Village Hall on the 3rd Thursday of the month at 7.30pm.

The Events Diary for 2017 is shown below (click to enlarge/print).

 

 

For more information contact:

Angela Steele (President)
Tel: 468396